As the President of the Napier Company, a prominent jewelry
manufacturer in Meriden, Connecticut, James H. Napier believed
in the importance of charitable giving by the business community.
For this reason, he and the company's Board of Directors
established The Napier Foundation in January 1955. The original
trust agreement set forth the terms by which the corporate
foundation would function. After the sale of the Napier Company
in 1999, this agreement was legally amended to make the
Foundation a private independent Connecticut grantmaker with a
new name, The James H. Napier Foundation.
As of 2016, the Foundation has given more than $5 million in grants.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed,
it's the only thing that ever has." --Margaret Mead